Family Organization Tips
When we are organized, can find what we need when we need, have a schedule and stick to it, relatively well, (life will always throw curve balls, after all) but when things go smoothly most of the time because we are organized and prepared, we:
- Have less stress
- Save time
- Have more quality time with family
- Teach our kids how to be more organized with both their time and their things
Minimizing Time Wasters
Let’s start by talking about some of the biggest time wasters if not properly organized and that is:
- Cell Phones
- Purses and Wallets
We can literally waste hours each week looking for these items. So for making sure we aren’t wasting time searching for these item:
- Find a place for each of these items
- Yet into the habit of always putting them there
The cell phone is another challenge since it doesn’t usually stay in one place! So there is a trick for both Android and iPhone, besides asking someone to call it, since that requires both that someone is home with you and that it’s not on silent or vibrate!
- Login to your gmail account associated with your phone
- Choose your phone from the list of devices associated with the account
- Click the ring button to make the phone ring so you can locate it!
The iPhone process is very similar:
- Login to iCloud.com
- Click the Find iPhone icon
- At the top is says “All Devices” click and select your phone
- Click “Play Sound”
Morning routines are another big struggle for many families. Here are a few basic tips to get you started for smoother mornings:
- Start from the arrival time (work or school) and move backwards from there.
- Always schedule a 5-10 minute cushion. It cuts down on stress and if you arrive 5 minutes early, then no problem. But rushing is never fun.
- Do as much the night before as possible: packing lunches, packing backpacks, setting out outfits – including socks and even shoes if it helps.
Organization tips and tools for areas such as:
- Morning Routines
- Toys and Art/Craft Supplies
- Meal Planning and Prepping
- School Supplies and Homework Schedules
- Kitchen – counters, drawers, mail, coupons, receipts, menus, etc.
- Extracurricular Activities
- Kids Clothes & Rooms – keeping them organized and clothing inventory that fits!
- and more!